X

Sumter Soil and Water Conservation District

Sumter Soil and Water Conservation District

The first meeting of the Sumter Soil and Water Conservation District (SSWCD) was held April 20, 1943 and it was known then as the Jumper Creek Soil Conservation District. Those present were Chairman – Roy Caruthers, Vice Chair – W. J. Hooten, Secretary- Carl Hendricks, County Agent along with W. C. Wicker, L. L. Giddens, J. A. Traylor, Carl Hendricks, D.P. Ventulett and K. S. McMullen.

On March 18, 1948 the name of the “District” was changed to Sumter Soil Conservation District, then January 30, 1951 it became known as the Sumter County Conservation District.
By June 2, 1955 the name had again changed to Sumter County Soil Conservation District. All the while a small group of local farmers and businessmen were helping their fellow citizens improve the soils of Sumter County.

On August 9, 1965 the name of the “District” became Sumter Soil and Water Conservation District as it remains today. The leaders at the time were – C. Aubrey Caruthers – Chair, Donald A. George – Secretary, and members W. C. Wing, Delouie Wells, James R. Edwards, Donald Nelson, L. Hurley Nichols, Fred Roesel and advisor H. Gray Roane.

The S&W Board meets the 4th Tuesday of the months of January, February, March, August, September, October. We meet at the Sumter County Extension Office located at 7620 State Road 471, Suite 2, Bushnell, FL 33513 at 3 PM.

Our Fiscal Year is from October 1 through September 30.

Meeting Minutes – September 30, 2016